Several factors can influence and slow the way our body metabolizes food and turns them into energy that can be accumulated or used as fuel. Hormones, aging, lifestyle, diet, and more specific to Ayurvedic medicine, the Dosha imbalance, directly affect our health.
Some foods help to speed up the metabolism and beneficial functions in our body.
- 1 – Sage – Powerful detoxifying and anti-oxidant. Start your day with a cup of fresh leaves tea. This herb moves blood sugar and accelerates the absorption of nutrients.
- 2 – Chili Pepper – Its compound, capsaicin (thermogenic), increases the body temperature, improves digestion and burns fat, being an excellent adjuvant in weight loss. Add pinches of cayenne or chili pepper in preparation of teas and dishes. It is contraindicated to use in cases of ulcers, reflux and imbalance of Pitta Dosha.
- 3 – Papaya – The fruit contains an enzyme called papain, which enhance protein digestion and its absorption. This fruit regulates intestinal tract and helps to eliminate fat.
- 4 – Turmeric – Contains curcumin (found in the orange pigment) and it is a natural anti-inflammatory of the ginger family. Turmeric is used in many known preparations such as mustard sauce, for example. It is a thermogenic spice (heats), assists in the breakdown of fats and controls blood sugar levels. Use in herbal teas with honey and as spice in cooking soups, stews and even breads.
- 5 – Cardamom – Thermogenic spice, which is a metabolism booster. It burns fat, aids the digestive process and promotes the elimination of toxins through the kidneys, as it is a natural diuretic. Its exotic and pleasant flavor can be used in teas, juices, savory and sweet dishes, in this case, in low-calorie dishes.